Friday 12 October 2018

The silent killer (Pt. 2)


                                         Learning to live with cancer.


Penang Adventist Hospital in Penang Island have set up an oncology center specially to cater to the many cancer patients from Indonesia and Malaysia.   Our first encounter with the oncologist was such a great relieved.  He sets our minds at ease with his clear explanation of prostate cancer and what is to be done in stages.  He is so confident in treating my case, and as such gave us confidence in following through the stages of treatment.

Accepting treatment is easy but it is difficult to accept such cruel fate and the fact that you are "hit" with a stage 4 cancer.  I started to blame the doctors in the Government hospital for taking my case lightly.  They should have detected something earlier with all the Ultrasound scan and X-ray and other tests.  My mind cannot be at peace and my heart is so "heavy" not knowing how to live with this "killer".

This sudden change in our lives is putting great pressure on my wife.  She is mentally taxed to the limit.  Oh I just do not know what to do.  I know I have to get over this difficult period otherwise my wife will not be able to take the load off her mind.

I decided to forget about my earlier treatment at the Govt. hospital.  I try not to think too much about my illness and try to adjust my lifestyle. I have to accept the fact that I have cancer and carry on with my life.  No point thinking and worrying about it.  It is not an easy task but I try day by day.  In my mind cancer is a silent killer.

Now I can get through each day without worry.  Eat when it is time and rest when tired.  I am also trying to exercise when I up to it and taking short walk near my place.

end of Part 2






No comments:

Post a Comment